Above is a familiar track that played without my meaning to while I was walking today. It struck me as more impacting somehow than it usually does. Just a short update this week, as I'm busy with my classes and I haven't had much time to get out. Which, since I like school isn't so bad but I'm proactively planning a few trips to various places because I refuse to let school get in the way of the experience.
As most of you know, the semester officially started two weeks ago. So far I'm pleased with how everything is shaping up, aside from one kink: I didn't get the loan I was expecting to receive. For the past few months I confirmed and re-confirmed with various people in the school administration that everything was set. A few days ago I was notified that no such loan was incoming, and to their credit they acknowledged that they were at fault, and they are allowing me to continue my classes and offered to give me a disbursement advance if I needed funds. Still, it was not something I wanted to find out a week into the semester. I've been scrambling to apply for a Sallie Mae loan, which is exacerbated by my being on a different continent. Fortunately I have a pretty swell Father that has been helping me out.
Today I decided to skip using the bus to get to campus, and it was great. When you're on the bus you miss out on a lot, whether it's seeing the architecture, or the people. I ended up walking through the outskirts of a Ultra-Orthodox neighborhood which was fairly unsettling. I definitely got more stares than I usually would. I usually avoid those areas, but they're both hilarious and strange at the same time. There are signs posted informing people to dress modestly, not to drive cars on Shabbat, and there is a general air of severeness which I can't take seriously, yet makes me sad.
Maybe the desert air is getting to me.
Until next time.
So glad this happened this week when your dad was available to help. You're handling this stress very well!
ReplyDelete