Humans are incredibly opinionated, myself not an exception at all. Finding equally opinionated people that engage me is simply a question of when. I usually relish verbal challenges, but before I came here I planned to avoid discussing the Palestinian question and associated issues. A quick background on my views at the moment: As a westerner, I do not have the cultural and social experience to truly understand the matter, as it pertains to the politics. When it comes to abuse by either side, I will comment. I especially am concerned about the remnant of Arab Christians throughout Israel and the West Bank, who are shunned and worse by both Jews and Muslims. That segment of the Palestinian people are generally forgotten by the American/western Christians I have met here, who call themselves "pro-Israel", a term which generally means much more than simply thinking Israel has the right to exist. They are additionally ignored by western "pro-Palestine" activists, who seem to forget about the murderers among the Palestinian people. No, I am not in either camp.
Thankfully, for my entire first month, I was able to be a passive observer of both sorts of activists, as well as spend time with Jewish and Arabic(Usually call themselves Palestinian) Israelis. There is often suspicion and resentment between each people group, for good reason. I could turn this post into a paper(not a bad idea...), but suffice it to say this topic is extremely complex, and the terrible, awful, no good, very bad mainstream media corporations in the States will not help your understanding of the matter.
Many people pass through the house I'm living in, tourists and interns, mostly. Generally friends of my landlady, who seems to know an unnatural number of people. At this point in my life, I am flexible and easy-going enough to enjoy meeting the various people that end up taking up space here. I have noticed that just about everyone that stays here is not of my persuasion when it comes to this subject which has been frustrating. They ask pointed questions in attempts to see what my own views are, which I deflect, but the longer I stay here the less I see that is feasible. One person mentioned she hopes I will be an "ambassador for Israel" when I go back to the states(I almost told her they have lobbyists for that, but that would have just escalated things), and another stated indirectly that I am naive and need to be careful what seeds are planted in my mind, when he found out that I spend time with Palestinians. That riled me up. At the same time it pushed me into my introverted zone, but as I live in the middle of a city, I haven't been able to get away from everyone. Legends tell of hidden quiet spaces, which I'm still searching for.
So, the honeymoon is over. Which isn't a problem! I'm looking forward to finding out what purpose I will serve here, and the growth that this environment will bring. I am in school, and thus I can use my mind purely for abstract thought which is glorious. Those that know me understand. I'm finally getting to know other graduate students, so hopefully I can vocalize my ideas now. Everything processes much better that way.
For those of you that found this post to be dry and boring, hang tight. I recently hiked up the Mount of Olives and took a quick jaunt over to Tel Aviv, so I'll have another post up in a few days.
Until next time.

Did not find this boring in the least. Stick to your guns. Love, Dad
ReplyDeleteListening, questioning, considering...sounds like real thoughtfulness to me! We miss you!
ReplyDeleteAh, Rachel! I heard something life-changing is happening to Lamar and yourself. Congratulations on that.
Delete